Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Introducing Berry Cozy!

Schnapps latest hat is finished and ready!  Thank you to Lynn, Shelly and Dawn for the name for this one!  If you want to knit it in a color that does not remind you of berries, feel free!  This was knit using chunky yarn and size 10.5 circulars, but there are instructions for all yarn weights.  It's a very simple pattern worked over 2 stitches.  Don't let all the words describing the stitches intimidate you - truly a super easy pattern.  Try it and you'll see.  I've got a couple of photos to help make it clearer than it reads too.

I am so grateful to all of you who are helping with the MEGSTRONG fundraiser, to those of you who are sending in hats and blankets for Delaware Head Huggers and Kozy Kovers for Kids, to those of you making hats for your local hospitals, all over the world, to those of you who offer so much encouragement and support to me and Schnapps and to all of you who are keeping everyone in need in their thoughts and prayers.  Together we really are making a difference in the world - even if sometimes it doesn't quite feel like it.

Someone asked me recently if I didn't feel that doing this was just pointless, since there is no way I can help everyone in need and shouldn't I just worry about myself.  I responded that if everyone would just do a tiny bit, we really could help just about everyone.  People need different things - some need chemo caps, some need money, some need thoughts and prayers, some just need to know that someone, somewhere cares.  

As far as worrying about myself - I fully believe that we all need to put our own needs first.  We have to focus on our health and well being to be of any use to anyone else.  But, that doesn't mean that we have to get greedy or that we have to ignore others.  Too many people these days focus just on themselves without stopping to think about how their actions affect others.  I will absolutely make sure my family has everything we need and that we are happy and comfortable.  That is my first priority in life.  We are very lucky.  We have a home, albeit small.  We have plenty of food for all of us.  Most importantly, we have each other.  We have so much that others do not and I think it is very important not to lose track of that and to always be grateful for what we do have.  I draw on that gratitude and appreciation to help others as well.  

When you really look at it, all we're doing is sharing some hat patterns and, honestly, why wouldn't we share them?  What good do they do if we just keep them to ourselves?  I'm not going to make a million dollars if I tried to sell them and I'm not going to lose my creativity by sharing them.  But, if I share them, others can make them and so many more people can have chemo caps and blankets and so many more knitters can get some new patterns to keep them interested.  Yes, we ship hats and blankets to those who need them, but that's another very small thing to do.  And knitting gives me enjoyment - so really, I'm helping myself probably more than anyone.

So, thank you to all of you who care about others!  We ARE making a difference!

Now, here's the latest pattern!  Schnapps sends love and kisses!

It was Schnapps' anniversary and my son's birthday!  He had fun!
  If you're not a fan of Delaware Head Huggers yet, stop by and "Like" our Facebook page.  Help us name the patterns and see all the beautiful hats that are donated.  Stop by Kozy Kovers for Kids Facebook page too!  We welcome everyone to join us.  Stop by and say hello.  You can always reach Schnapps or me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org too.  We love to hear from everyone!

Berry Cozy


You will need 5-weight or chunky yarn and size 10.5 needles or some combination listed below.

 Abbreviations:
k2tog:  holding working yarn as if to knit, knit 2 stitches together as one

Cast on 60 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Stockinette:
Row 1:  knit all stitches
Repeat Row 1 until piece is 1 to 1.5 inches in length.

Work Pattern:
Row 1: *place the right hand needle between 1st and 2nd stitch on left hand needle and draw through a loop; keep loop on right hand needle and knit the 2 stitches from the left hand needle*; repeat around
Row 2:  *k1, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 3:  k1, *place the right hand needle between 1st and 2nd stitch on left hand needle and draw through a loop; keep loop on right hand needle and knit the 2 stitches from the left hand needle*; repeat to last stitch, then insert right hand needle behind last stitch, draw through a loop and knit the last stitch.
Row 4:  *k2tog, k1*; repeat around
Repeat Rows 1- 4 until piece is 7.5 to 8 inches in length.

Decrease Crown:
Row 1:  *k2tog*; repeat around
Row 2:  *k2tog*; repeat around
Row 3:   *k2tog*; repeat around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy!

The pattern is worked over 2 stitches. 

To knit this using 6-weight yarn, use size 13 needles and cast on 50 stitches. 

To knit this using worsted weight yarn, use size 8 needles and cast on 90 stitches. 

To make it child size, use worsted yarn, size 8 needles and cast on 60 stitches.  Adjust in increments of 2 stitches for individual sizes.

To knit this using sport weight yarn, use size 5 needles and cast on 120 stitches. 

If using lighter weight yarn, you might want to increase the number of rows in the crown decrease.

inserting RH needle between 2 stitches

drawing through a loop and leaving it on the RH needle


All are welcome to join us in some way!  
If you know anyone who needs chemo caps, please don't hesitate to contact me and I will send some anywhere in the USA.



9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but even with your pics, which I appreciate, I am at a loss as to where this 'loop' is supposed to come from, after I have inserted the right hand needle through the two stitches...help, please? I just can't grasp what you are saying...sorry...but I love this hat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's as if you are knitting a stitch, but you aren't dropping the stitch off the LH needle, you are just pulling the working yarn through which makes a loop.

      Delete
  2. The loop, I believe, is your working yarn. You are connecting the first and last stitches so that it is a seamless hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The loop is your working yarn, but it's used throughout, not just to connect the piece in the round.

      Delete
  3. How big is this hat supposed to be when it's finished??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you knit it as first written it fits an average adult. If you follow the directions for a child's hat, then it is child size.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for your wonderful easy explanations and your lovely generosity in sharing and helping others. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I'm new to knitting and confused. After I pull the loop through and leave it on the RH needle do I then just knit the two stitched on the LH needle? Or do I transfer the Looped Stitch from the RH needle to the LH needle and then knit it? Thank you, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. As it says in the directions, leave the loop on the RH needle. "Row 3: k1, *place the right hand needle between 1st and 2nd stitch on left hand needle and draw through a loop; keep loop on right hand needle and knit the 2 stitches from the left hand needle*; repeat to last stitch, then insert right hand needle behind last stitch, draw through a loop and knit the last stitch."

    ReplyDelete