Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Monday, July 9, 2018

Legacy

We lost our beloved Schnapps on June 21, 2018.  Our hearts are broken.  We are just so very sad and hurting so much right now.  He was the absolute best and he brought out the best in everyone else too.  I'm not quite sure how we will navigate through our days without him.......it's incredibly difficult and full of tears.  We are trying to hold onto our happy memories......because Schnapps was the happiest boy ever and he brought us so much joy, every single day. 




I'm truly not sure where Delaware Head Huggers and Kozy Kovers for Kids will go from here.  Schnapps was the inspiration, creative force and love behind all that.  Right now, I am continuing.  That might change in the future.  I am truly lost without my boy.  

This was the last hat that we knit together.......honestly I am finding it difficult to pick up my knitting at all without him sitting by my side.  I know that he would want me to share this pattern though.  We were working on another book to publish..........but I wanted to put this one here for everyone.  I will add it to a book if that happens in the future.


This was knit using KnitPicks Comfy Sport yarn and size 4 needles.  Instructions for other variations are, of course, included too.  

Remember,  we have three books published on Amazon in paperback and Kindle versions.  Paperbacks are printed in full color on 8.5 x 11 paper and will be delivered right to your door.  These could be good gift ideas for knitters you love.

Just go to Amazon.com and search "Knitting with Schnapps" or "Agar-Celli" to find them, or click here.  Sales of course go towards helping us cover shipping and supply costs for shipping hats out across the country.  

If you're not a fan of Delaware Head Huggers yet, stop by and "Like" our Facebook page.  Help us name the patterns and see all the beautiful hats that are donated.  Stop by Kozy Kovers for Kids Facebook page too!  We welcome everyone to join us.  Stop by and say hello.  You can always reach me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org too.  Please understand that things are not running as quickly or as smoothly as they did.



Legacy

You will need 2 colors of 2-weight yarn and size US 4 needles, or some other combination listed below.  

Abbreviations:

k2tog:  knit 2 stitches together

Using Color B, cast on 120 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:  Using Color B
Row 1:   knit all stitches
Row 2:   purl all stitches 
Repeat Rows 1 & 2 until your work measures about 3 inches, or longer if you prefer, in length.  

Work Pattern:  all stitches are knit stitches.  The numbers and letter refer to color:

Row 1:   *2A, 3B, 2A, 1B*; repeat around
Row 2:  *1A, 1B, 4A, 1B, 1A*; repeat around 
Row 3:  *1B, 2A, 3B, 2A*; repeat around 
Row 4:   *2A, 1B, 4A, 1B*; repeat around 
Row 5:   *2A, 1B, 4A, 1B*; repeat around
Row 6:   *1B, 2A, 3B, 2A*; repeat around 
Row 7:   *1A, 1B, 4A, 1B, 1A*; repeat around 
Row 8:   *2A, 3B, 2A, 1B*; repeat around 
Row 9:   *1B, 4A, 1B, 2A*; repeat around 
Row 10:  *1B, 4A, 1B, 2A*; repeat around 

Repeat Rows 1 -10 until piece is about 7 to 7.5  inches in length.

Work Crown:  Using Color A use dpn’s when needed 
Row 1:    knit all stitches
Repeat Row 1 until piece is 7.5 to 8 inches in length.

Work Crown Decrease: 

Row 1:     *k6, k2tog *; repeat around
Row 2:     *k5, k2tog *; repeat around
Row 3:     *k4, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 4:     *k3, k2tog*; repeat around 
Row 5:     *k2, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 6:     *k1, k2tog*; repeat around 
Row 7:     *k2tog *; repeat around

 Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and share.


If using 6-weight yarn, use size 13 needles and cast on 48.

If using 5-weight yarn, use size 10.5 needles and cast on 72 
  
If using 4-weight yarn, use size 8 needles and cast on 96.   

If using 3-weight yarn, use size 6 needles and cast on 112.  

This  pattern is worked over 8 stitches.  Adjust accordingly for size differences. 



9 comments:

  1. So sorry for you loss. I lost my 22 year old Pomeranian a few months ago also..but your heart needs to heal and when the time is right another friend comrad will show up in your life! Pets are such a joy. I have a year old Yorkie who keeps me company while I knit! Blessings your way and thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my Lil Bit a couple months ago and I miss her every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. 😢 We had to put our little 18 yr old chihuahuato Gabe, to sleep in June also. It's just not the same without him. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Schnapps, we lost of beloved Peyton June 23 2015 to cancer. I do hope you will reconsider carrying on when you are ready, what you and Schnapps built for the world is too important to lose both of you and all the great things you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered Knitting with Schnapps today and love the patterns created by you & your boy. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It takes time to grieve, but as the pain slowly changes from a breathless stabbing to a more manageable ache, I hope you will remember the many times he was your companion & inspiration and consider allowing him to be your inspiration one more time to continue your amazing work & devotion to DHH and KKK (and us knitters).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences to family. Oh My Goodness losing a dear fur baby is the worst. we lost our cats 4 months apart both were quick onset they were 13 years 10 mo sister was 14 years 3 months. It was to quite here I needed a fur baby hubby agreed. So 6/19/18 I adopted a 4year beautiful black kitty named her NIN. Sadly that day I was advised my 42 yr old son passed away the day before. So many tears this summer but we are on the mend and NIN is so sweet comforts my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Robin. I just found some of your patterns and was saddened to learn of your loss. Losing a family member is always very difficult.
    When a fur baby leaves us, there is tremendous grief and emptiness. Although your beloved Schnapps can never be replaced, may your memories of him bring you smiles. I am hopeful you and your family will be able to heal and open your hearts and home to another fur baby at some point to make more wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read the post about Schnapps, and wanted to extend my condolences on your loss. Just like the people in our lives each is truly unique and irreplaceable. Four years ago, I lost my dad, my dog and my cat all within 2 weeks. I thought I would never recover, then my 2 little monsters came into my life and lifted the veil of grief. They are a pair of Chihuahuas (mother and son,) rescued from a backyard breeder. From the day they came into my home they have done nothing but adore me. I had a vet who once told me the greatest tribute you can give to a furbaby that has passed is to share your love for them with another pet, it isn't a replacement, it's a continuation of the love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sorry to hear about your pet. I am sure he is peaceful as he resides in your heart . He will remain alive to he is in your mind and heart.

    ReplyDelete