Schnapps

Schnapps
My Very Best Friend!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Introducing Rings of Love: A Cap Simple Enough for Beginners!

Lately I have had several requests for very simple hats for new knitters.  So, I decided that to put this together for everyone.  Certainly more experienced knitters can still knit this pattern.......it's great for when you need a quick project, but those of you who are new to knitting should be able to finish this in almost no time!  And the pattern is very forgiving........if you skip a row or add an extra one, oh well, the ridges won't be evenly spaced, but it will still be cute.

Thank you Sonia for the name!

This pattern is free, but please remember that 10% of the cost of ALL my pattern sales on Craftsy and on Ravelry between 10/1 and 10/8 will be donated to breast cancer research.  This is a great way to get some new patterns and to make a difference.  The other 90% of the pattern price goes directly into shipping and supplies for Delaware Head Huggers and Kozy Kovers for Kids, so you are doing good in more than one way just by purchasing a pattern!  



 Schnapps says THANK YOU to all!



The model was knit with Lion Brand's Vanna's Colors - just one skein.  I have included directions for various sizes as well as various yarn weights here too.




The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF .

Stop by our Facebook page to see items as soon as they come off my needles and to help name them!
RINGS OF LOVE CAP
You will need:  Bulky or 5 weight yarn- about 100 - 110 yard
Size US 11 16 inchcircular knitting needles 
Abbreviations:

k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as one

Cast on 60 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:

Row 1:  knit all stitches

Repeat Row 1 nine more times for a total of 10 rows.

Work Pattern:

Row 1:  purl all stitches
Row 2:  knit all stitches
Row 3:  knit all stitches
Row 4:  knit all stitches

Repeat Rows 1 - 4 until the piece measures between 7 and 7.5 inches in length.

Decrease Crown:

Row 1:  *k8, k2tog*; repeat  around
Row 2:  *k7, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 3:  *k6, k2tog*; repeat  around
Row 4:  *k5, k2tog*; repeat  around
Row 5:  *k4, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 6:  *k3, k2tog*; repeat  around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.

This hat will fit an average to large adult head. 

To make an average/small hat, use size 10.5 needles. 

To make a small hat, use size 10.5 needles and cast on 50 stitches.

To use super bulky yarn, use size 13 needles and cast on 50 stitches for a large hat and 40 for an average hat.

To use worsted weight yarn, use size 8 needles and cast on 90 stitches for a large or 80 stitches for an average hat.

To use sport weight yarn, use size 6 needles and cast on 130 stitches for a large or 110 stitches for an average hat.

 

Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

5 comments:

  1. This certainly look easy enough , Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and I know just the gentleman that will love having it for his beautiful bald head!! He shaved it all off before starting the chemo treatments.. all of his son's and best friends shaved theirs also, so I may be making a bunch of these!! Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see that you like it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a senior who has survived cancer multiple times. I am trying to gather some neighbors together to make hats for chemo patients and for kids in need. Keep up the great work you do. This pattern will get us started because most of my friends are new to knitting. As we progress I will be purchasing additional patterns.

    ReplyDelete