Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Friday, October 5, 2012

Introducing Room for Hope: An Adjustable Slouchy Hat

I've been asked to come up with a slouchy hat pattern, so I put Schnapps to work and he came up with this.  Barb - this one's for you!  Sue, thank you for the name!!!

Before I say anything else about the hat, I'd just like to thank everyone who has supported me in getting Delaware Head Huggers up and going.  We are definitely making a difference and I am in awe at the sheer number of wonderful people out there.  I've come to realize that as more and more people hear about us, there will always be those selfish few who try to bring negativity into this, but we don't care about them, because the more who hear about us, the more people we can help!  I'm so lucky to have so very many people who bring happiness, joy and generosity to this project.  And I am honored to have met so many amazingly brave and strong people who are fighting cancer and taking care of loved ones who are fighting.  Please keep contacting me - I will send hats, hugs, hope and love to you all!  Keep me posted on your progress and remember, you don't have to knit, crochet or sew to join us on Facebook and follow along.  You only have to be kind and loving.

 I hope that those of you who like slouchy hats like this one.  Those of you who would prefer a closer fitting cap can just adjust the pattern as written below and make it smaller.  I used Vanna's Colors for the model and I used a little more than 1.5 skeins.

The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF .
Stop by our Facebook page to see items as soon as they come off my needles and to help name them!
Schnapps worked very hard on this one!


 Room for Hope

You need chunky or 5-weight yarn (about 175 yards) and both size 7 and size 10.5 circular needles (16 inch)
Abbreviations:

tbl: through back loop

k2togtbl:  knit 2 stitches together as one through the back loop

k2tog:  knit 2 stitches together as one

Using size 7 needles, cast on 88 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:

Row 1:  *k2, p2*; repeat around

Repeat Row 1 for 1.5 inches


Switch to 10.5 needles.

Pattern:

Row 1:  knit all stitches through the back loop (ktbl)

Row 2:  knit all stitches

Work Rows 1 - 2 for 8 inches, making the piece with the brim 9.5 inches.

Decrease Crown:

Row 1:  *k6tbl, k2togtbl*; repeat  around

Row 2:  *k5, k2tog*; repeat around 

Row 3:  *k4tbl, k2togtbl*; repeat  around

Row 4:  *k3, k2tog*; repeat  around

Row 5:  *k2tbl, k2togtbl*; repeat around 

Row 6:  *k1, k2tog*; repeat  around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.

You can adjust this pattern for the amount of slouch that you wish.  Knit the pattern longer for more slouch or shorter for less.  This can also be a regularly fitting hat.  Work the pattern until the piece, including the brim measures 7.5 inches and then decrease the crown.  

The pattern may be worked over any number of stitches, but in order for the brim and crown decrease to work out properly, adjust in multiples of 8. 


Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

4 comments:

  1. My hats for you are on their way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous! I can't wait to see them! :)

      Delete
  2. Can this hat be knit using # 4 weight yarn? If so, what needle size, what is the cast on amount and what is the decrease pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, use size 5's for the brim, cast on 104 stitches and then switch to size 7's or 8's when you get to the body. The decrease pattern would still be the same....just stick with a multiple of 8 stitches when you cast on and it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete