Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Introducing Under Hope's Cover Chemo Cap!

Once again, I've kept to my goal of at least 2 hats a week.  Thank you Penny for the name!

  This week, 10 boxes were shipped out!  Each box had between 70 and 100 hats in it and they are being sent all over to places that need them.  I announce all shipments on our  Facebook page.  Stop by and join us if you like. I have a few more to go out as well, but they wouldn't fit in the car!  I also recently sent boxes to some individuals in need of warm head wear as well.  I had some lovely notes and messages from people this week who have received hats and love them.  I have received hats this week from KY, WA, PA, FL, DE and other places too.  The generosity and talents of so many people are being put to wonderful use.

I also made a donation to The National Breast Cancer Society on behalf of Delaware Head Huggers, donating $25, which was 25% of my pattern sales for the week of 10/1 - 10/8.  Thank you everyone who purchased patterns and helped.  Remember that ANY time you buy one of my patterns, the full cost goes right back to Delaware Head Huggers to cover shipping and supply costs.

  Thank goodness that all this balances out the people such as the woman who wrote accusing me of being a scam.  Please, if you contact me for any reason, be polite.  I blocked her and will do so to all people who are rude.  Thousands of you know from personal experience that I respond to every email and I will always answer questions if I can.

This week, my first hat was sort of a draft for the second one.  Even though the pattern is revised, I still think this is a lovely cap that will keep someone nice and warm.

Suggestions were made to add a handle to the umbrella...........

This week was I Love Yarn Day too, so Schnapps had to take time out from knitting to celebrate!


Then, Schnapps worked hard to revise the pattern and added a handle.






The pattern is a simple one.  I used Jiffy 5-weight yarn and size 10.5 needles.  The pattern itself is worked over 17 stitches.  I repeated the umbrella twice and left 2 plain panels in between.  When writing the pattern, I left the k17 at the start of each row.  Should you want to knit the pattern in every panel, just delete the k17 and work the rest of the pattern.  If you want to use worsted weight yarn, cast on 102 stitches and use size 7 needles.  If you want to adapt it any more, work in increments of 17 stitches if you want the pattern in every panel or 34 stitches if you want to alternate as I did.  

The pattern can be found as a PDF on Scribd.com.  

Join our Facebook page to see items as soon as they come off my needles and to help name them!

Under Hope's Cover


You need:  75 - 100 yards of 5-weight yarn and size 10.5 16 inch circular knitting needles.

Abbreviations:

yo: yarn over

p2tog:  purl 2 stitches together
k3tog:  knit 3 stitches together

k2tog:  knit 2 stitches together

Cast on 68 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:  knit all stitches for 10 rows

Work Pattern:

ALL EVEN ROWS:  knit all stitches

Row 1: *k17, k7, p1, k9*; repeat around

Row 3:  *k17, k6, p1, k1, p1, k8*; repeat around
Rows 5, 7 & 9:  *k17, k8, p1, k8*; repeat around
Row 11:  *k17, yo, k1, (p3, k1) 4 times, yo*; repeat around
Row 13:  *k17, k1, yo, k1, (p3, k1) 4 times, yo, k2*; repeat around
Row 15:  *k17, k2, yo, k1, (p3, k1) 4 times, yo, k2*; repeat
Row 17:  *k17, k3, yo, k1,(p2tog, p1, k1) 4 times, yo, k3*; repeat
Row 19:  *k17, k4, yo, k1, (p2tog, k1) 4 times, yo, k4*; repeat
Row 21:  *k17, k5, yo, k1, (k3tog, k1) twice, yo, k5
Decrease Crown:
Row 1: *k15, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 2: *k14, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 3: *k13, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 4: *k12, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 5: *k11, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 6: *k10, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 7: *k9, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 8: *k8, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 9: *k7, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 10: *k6, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 11: *k5, k2tog*; repeat around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.


The pattern is worked over 17 stitches.  I have it repeated twice with 2 plain panels between, which is why each row has a k17 to begin.  You can make each panel have the pattern if you prefer.  Then delete the k17 and just repeat the rest of the pattern. 

To use worsted weight yarn, cast on 102 stitches on size 7 needles and work as written.



Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids


4 comments:

  1. You have some pretty amazing patterns. Keep up the amazing ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I try to have at least one new pattern each week.........we'll see......... :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Robin + Schnapps. Beautiful hat, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At row 13, is it k2 or k1 at the end of the repeated pattern?

    ReplyDelete