Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Friday, June 8, 2012

Introducing The Giving Tree Chemo Cap!

Today, as I was taking The Giving Tree cap off my needles, my phone rang.  It wasn't a number I recognized, but I answered anyway.  On the other end was Maggie, who I sent hats to earlier in the week.  She starts her chemo next week and she had just received the box......right before she went to the salon to have her hair cut.  She now was headed into the salon carrying a fleece breast cancer awareness ribbon hat to wear on her way out.  We both cried and I so wish I could have hugged her.  In my previous post, I explained a bit about why I do this.............Maggie's call should explain it all.

Lying flat
Dawn came up with the name The Giving Tree - and I love it.  Like Shel Silverstein's 'Giving Tree', this hat should give comfort without ever looking for anything in return. 

In keeping with meeting my goal of at least 2 hats a week, I also designed this hat this week.  It will be in the Delaware Head Huggers Calendar and as yet, is not named. But, I like it a lot and hope you do too.

Update:  This dark blue hat below is Trifecta.  The pattern is available in my Ravelry and Craftsy stores for $2.00 each.  The pattern is also in the e-book CAP-turing Hope.  100% of all pattern sales go to shipping and supply costs for Delaware Head Huggers.
For the calendar!

For The Giving Tree I used Louisa Harding's Baby Kashmir, but any 3-weight or sport weight yarn will work.  The Baby Kashmir is ultra soft and smooth and machine washable.  I used a little over a 143 yard skein for this hat and size 5 needles.  Lots of stitches make up this hat, but it's worth it!


 The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF .  If you are printing this, use print preview to determine the pages you wish to print or copy and paste it into a Word document to ensure that you print only what you want.  Don't hesitate to send me an email letting me know of any person or treatment center in need of caps.  If you are knitting any of my patterns, feel free to let me know how they come out and who you are making them for.  I have met so many wonderful, talented people since I began this organization and I love to hear from new people all the time!


If you're not a fan of Delaware Head Huggers yet, stop by and "Like" our Facebook page.  Help us name the patterns and see all the beautiful hats that are donated.  Stop by Kozy Kovers for Kids Facebook page too!  We welcome everyone to join us.  Stop by and say hello.  You can always reach  me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org too. 


Here is the pattern!  



The Giving Tree Chemo Cap

This shows the true color of the yarn I used, but any color would look great!

3-weight or sport weight yarn – I used Louisa Harding Kashmir Baby – about 175 yards

Size US 5 circular needles

Abbreviation:  SSK – slip, slip, knit – slip two stitches, one at a time to the right hand needle.  Insert the left hand needle into both stitches and knit them together.

Cast on 105 stitches (this pattern is worked over 15 stitches)

Work the brim:
            Row 1:  Knit all stitches
            Row 2:  Knit all stitches
            Repeat Rows 1 & 2 11 more times for a total of 24 rows of stockinette.

Work the pattern: 
                       
Row 1:              * K6, P1, K1, P1, K6*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 2:              *K5, P2, K1, P2, K5*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 3:              *K4, P2, K3, P2, K4*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 4:              *K3, P2, K5, P2, K3*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 5:              *K2, P2, K2, P1, K1, P1, K2, P2, K2*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 6:              *K1, P2, K2, P2, K1, P2, K2, P2, K1*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 7:              *K1, P1, K2, P2, K3, P2, K2, P1, K1*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 8:              *K3, P2, K5, P2, K3*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 9:              *K2, P2, K2, P1, K1, P1, K2, P2, K2*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 10:            *K2, P1, K2, P2, K1, P2, K2, P1, K2*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 11:            *K4, P2, K3, P2, K4*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 12:             *K3, P2, K5, P2, K3*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 13:            *K3, P1, K2, P1, K1, P1, K2, P1, K3*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 14:            *K5, P2, K1, P2, K5*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 15:            *K4, P2, K3, P2, K4*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 16:            *K4, P1, K5, P1, K4*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 17:              *K6, P1, K1, P1, K6*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 18:            *K5, P2, K1, P2, K5*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 19:            *K5, P1, K3, P1, K5*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 20:            Knit all stitches
Row 21:            *K6, P1, K1, P1, K6*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 22:            *K6, P1, K1, P1, K6*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 23:            *K7, P1, K7*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Row 24:            *K7, P1, K7*; 
repeat from * to * around row
Rows 25 – 36:  Knit all stitches

Decrease the crown:

Row 1:  *K13, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row
Row 2:  *K12, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row
Row 3:  *K11, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row
Row 4:  *K10, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row
Row 5:  *K9, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row
Row 6:  *K8, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row
Row 7:  *K7, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row
Row 8:  *K6, SSK*; repeat from * to * around row

Finish:
            Cut working yarn, leaving a tail.  Draw the tail through the stitches left on the needle and cinch closed.  Secure and weave in the loose ends. Share!

Updated for use with additional yarn weights

If using 6 weight yarn and size 13 needles, cast on 45 stitches and work as written.

If using 5-weight yarn and size 11 needles, cast on 60 stitches and work as written.

If using 4-weight yarn and size 8 needles, cast on 75 stitches and work as written.



© Robin Celli – June 2012
Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids




25 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great pattern Robin. My first cap will go to a cancer patient in Roanoke, VA. I will be donating it Nov. 3rd at an annual knitting gathering there. I am knitting it with soft alpaca yarn in a lovely maroon color. I plan to knit many more to donate here in southwest Virginia.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful Marilyn! I'm sure they will greatly appreciate it. If you think the center needs more caps, please let me know and I will send some to them.

      :) Schnapps and Me

      Delete
  2. I was looking for something like that. I'm starting chemo tomorrow, but I hope to knit it by the time my hair falls out. Thanks for the pattern and for being an angel for the lucky recipients of your lovely hats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helena,

      Please send me an email and give me your address and I will be happy to send some hats to you. My email is robin@delawareheadhuggers.org - I don't know how to get in touch with you - I hope you will see this.......

      Please let me know your favorite colors also and I will try to match them.

      Hugs, hope and love! We will be thinking about you. Stay strong and be well!!!

      Delete
  3. can I use a worsted weight yarn instead of DK? Does that change the pattern in any way? I'm a new knitter and think it would be great to make these for our local cancer center. Thanks for all you do! my mom's a two time cancer survivor (brain and lung) and there are so many people who need these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you use worsted weight yarn, I'd probably cast on 15 or 30 less stitches and use size 7 needles...... The pattern is in repeats of 15....... Hope that helps.

      Hugs to your Mom! :)

      Delete
  4. Is this pattern written to stitch in the round? I am thinking it is, but no where in instructions does it state that. I will use the magic loop method. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that's why there is no seam in the finishing instructions.

      Delete
  5. I am planning to knit a cap for my 12 yr. old student. I'm planning to use a pashima worsted. Would you recommend the same stitch reduction? Would this hat fit a 12 yr old girl? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the pattern is in repeats of 15, so you have to work with that in some multiple. I think it will fit a 12 year old girl.................. I'd try 15 less stitches and use size 6 or 7 needles.....

      Delete
  6. This is such a lovely hat, thank you so much for sharing the pattern! I made one in sport weight yarn for a friend going through chemo and she loved it. I would like to knit one using fingering wt. yarn. What needle size would you recommend? Would an increase of 15 sts be enough?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use whatever needles are recommended for the yarn.........I would think 15 stitches would be enough, but you might need to do 30 - it really depends on who is going to wear it.......

      Delete
  7. Hello, fairly new knitter here. On the Tree hat the instructions read : Work the brim:
    Row 1: Knit all stitches
    Row 2: Knit all stitches
    Repeat Rows 1 & 2 11 more times for a total of 24 rows of stockinette.
    Is it meant to read on row 2: purl all stitches, indicating it will be a stockinette brim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is knit in the round, so stockinette is knitting every row, just like the instructions state.

      Delete
  8. my best friend is going through chemo and said she would NOT wear a chemo cap, but winter is coming in Alaska....hope she changes her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it okay to knit this hat just because I think the pattern is lovely but not as a chemo hat? Would anyone object to that or be offended in any way? Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can do that. No one will be offended at all. You just should not sell it for profit.

      Delete
  10. I've been making Pi chemo hats for my local infusion center for several years, and am looking for something different. Thank you for sharing this pattern - I plan to give it a try in Fixation (gotta love that stretch!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. By casting on 90 stitches, should be able to use worsted weight & still be similar in size with #7 needles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there a way to knit with straight needles and use a k2 p2 band instead of carter band

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have to reverse every other row to knit with straight needles. You can use any kind of brim you want but it is a 15 stitch repeat, so a multiple of 4 won't work for the brim. You could do a k3, p2 brim though.

      Delete
  13. I love to knit hats and give them to Needy!! I send Boxes to Shelters and leave them in Drop Boxes.
    If anyone is having a Baby I ask for a color and make some for them to choose from.
    I just Hope for them to be Enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 16 inch circulars are what are used for hats. Other sizes would be much too large.

    ReplyDelete