Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stepping Stones Cap

Well, I've been imagining a hat using this pattern for quite some time and it's just not the way I had pictured it.  But, it is a nice, comfy hat that would be a great chemo cap.  It's kind of a variation of the Cozy Cobblestone Cap that I made a while ago, but this one is a bit different and it's knit in the round.

The pattern is, of course, free.  As always, I ask that if you like the pattern, come by our Facebook and like us and follow along with us as we try to make a difference.  The pattern can be found as a PDF here.
Now, for the pattern!

Stepping Stones Cap

 

What you need:

Worsted weight yarn – less than 200 yards
Size 8 circular knitting needles

Abbreviations:

K2tog:  Knit 2 stitches together as one.

SSK:  slip, slip, knit.  Slip 2 stitches from the left hand needle onto the right.  Then insert the left hand needle into the front of the 2 slipped stitches and knit both together.


Cast on 95 stitches, place marker and join in the round, being careful not to twist stitches.

Work rolled brim:

            Rows 1 – 5:              Knit all stitches

Work body of hat:

            Rows 1 – 4:                  Knit all stitches
            Rows 5 - 10:              * K9, P5, K4 *; repeat from * to * to last 5 stitches, K5
            Rows 11 – 16:               Knit all stitches
            Rows 17 – 22:            * P5, K13 *; repeat from * to * to last 5 stitches, K5
            Rows 23 – 28:               Knit all stitches
            Rows 29 – 34:            * K9, P5, K4 *; repeat from * to * to last 5 stitches, K5

Decrease Crown:

            Row 1:                        * K2tog, K16 * ; repeat from * to * to last 5 stitches, K5
            Row 2:                           Knit all stitches
Row 3:                        * K7, SSK * ; repeat for row
Row 4:                        * K6, SSK * ; repeat for row
Row 5:                        * K5, SSK * ; repeat for row
Row 6:                        * K4, SSK * ; repeat for row
Row 7:                        * K3, SSK * ; repeat for row
Row 8:                        * K2, SSK * ; repeat for row

Finish:

            Cut working yarn leaving 6-inch tail.  Draw yarn through stitches left on needle and cinch closed.  Secure, weave in ends and enjoy!


Happy Knitting Everyone!

Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out. If you know a center who would benefit from hats, please pass that information along to me, so I can send some hats out to them.
Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids
 




7 comments:

  1. Dear Robin, First I want to say how much I LOVE your patterns. They are so inovative, creative & fun to knit. I am making chemo caps for my cousin and in regards to your Stepping Stones Cap, after completing row 8 of the decreases, I'm left with 30 stitches. Is this correct?!? It seems as if the crown needs more rows to define it.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's correct, but you can certainly decrease it further if you like.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so very much for getting back to me so promtly! Now I can finish up and start another. It is satisfying to have a real purpose to knit other than just for pleasure although I wish a million times over the circumstances weren't what they are.
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you slip the stitches knitwise or purlwise for SSK? I've never done SSK before so I don't know which way you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slip them knit-wise. Typically you do for a SSK.

      Delete
  4. I have a lot of sock weight yarn and I would like to make chemo hats. could I just cast on more stitches to work in this pattern? how many?
    Thank you very much. Your hats are for a wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this adorable hat (stepping stones) for my granddaughter. It's adorable! Now my daughter wants one. How do I convert the pattern from child to adult? Thanks! Marian

    ReplyDelete