Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Introducing Braided Hope: A Hat Full of Hope for Everyone!

Another Football Sunday and another hat off my needles!  Thank you Annie for the name!  I'm all out of super bulky yarn now.......I've got to get to the store and pick up some more for these super fast knit caps.  



 Schnapps suggested taking the brim from this hat:


and making it into a bulky knit........and it worked. 


The blue hat above is my Mountains of Hope pattern that can be found in my Ravelry store or along with 10 other never before published patterns in the e-book CAP-turing Hope.  Remember that 100% of all proceeds from the sale of my e-books and patterns goes directly into covering shipping and supply costs for Delaware Head Huggers!

 The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF.

BRAIDED HOPE
 

You need:  one skein of Lion Brand Hometown USA and size US 13 needles

Abbreviations:

k2tog:  knit 2 stitches together

p2tog:  purl 2 stitches together

Cast on 48 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Pattern:

Rows 1, 2 & 4: *p2, k2*; repeat around
Row 3: *p2, k2tog but do not drop stitches off left hand needle, knit the first stitch again, then drop both*; repeat around

Repeat Rows 1 - 4 until the piece measures 
between 7 and 7.5 inches in length. 


Decrease Crown:

Row 1:  *p2, k2tog*; repeat  around

Row 2:  *p2tog, k1*; repeat around

Row 3:  *k2tog*; repeat around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.


The pattern is in multiples of 4, so adjust accordingly.  The hat is stretchy and should fit most adults.  If you don’t have any bulky weight yarn, use 2 strands of worsted weight yarn held together as one.

Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

4 comments:

  1. hi I'm trying to make your hat and am confused on the third row. If I don't take my stitches off the needle and knit the first stitch again that gives me two stitches on my right needle. help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you want to have the 2 stitches.........that's why you knit the stitch a second time. You knit the 2 together, then knit the first stitch again, then drop them both.

      Delete
  2. I love this pattern. It's quick, simple, and you don't have to use a cable needle to make this neat twist. I've made 3 hats with this pattern! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pattern

    ReplyDelete