Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Introducing An Embrace of Waves Hat!

Once again I have met my goal of at least 2 hats each week.  Delaware Head Huggers latest total of hats is 7,683!  More come in every week and more and more people are hearing about us and joining us.  And more people are able to come to us for help too.  I'm very proud to say that we have been able to help everyone and every center who has contacted us for caps.  And been able to send to those who didn't even know we existed too!

Many people ask how they can help us.  You are always welcome to send hats to us, but giving to your local center is just as wonderful.  There are people everywhere in need of chemo caps!  Those of you who wish to help otherwise can purchase my ebooks (100% of proceeds go right back into Delaware Head Huggers) or donate using the Donate button on this blog.  Trust me, every dollar helps and it is ALL put to very good use shipping out caps and purchasing supplies.  But, what is most important is that you help someone who needs some extra care and love.

Often people tell me that they are making the hats for relatives as gifts, not as chemo caps.......sometimes people ask if that is ok with me.  OF COURSE it is!  I am absolutely delighted that anyone likes these designs enough to want to knit them.  I never imagined when I sat down with a "How to Knit" book less than 3 years ago that I would be doing this now. 

This latest hat is knit using worsted weight yarn and size 7 knitting needles.  It does have cables, but they are simple, so don't be afraid to try it.  I find that cables tend to make the hat a bit snugger than if there were no cables, so keep that in mind when you are knitting it.

The model was knit with a 90 stitch cast on.  This made quite a snug fitting hat for me, so you might want to go up to 105 stitches if you want a looser cap.  

 I hope you like this one.  Schnapps was quite happy with it.

 The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF .  Always feel free to send me an email just to say HI also.  I love to hear from everyone.

An Embrace of Waves

You need:  Worsted, or 4-weight yarn, size US 7 circular knitting needles and a cable needle.

Abbreviations:

C10F:  Cable 10 front - place 5 stitches on a cable needle and hold in front of work.  Knit next 5 stitches, then knit the 5 from the cable needle.

C10B:  Cable 10 back - place 5 stitches on a cable needle and hold in back of work.  Knit next 5 stitches, then knit the 5 from the cable needle.

ssk:  slip 2 stitches, one at a time, knitwise to right hand needle.  Knit them together with your left hand needle.


Cast on 90 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:
Rows 1 & 3:  Knit all stitches
Rows 2 & 4:  Purl all stitches
Rows 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9:  Knit all stitches
Row 10:  Purl all stitches

Work Pattern:
Rows 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 & 12:  knit all stitches
Row 3:  *k5, C10F*; repeat around
Row 9:  *C10B, k5*; repeat around
Repeat Rows 1 - 12 four times.

Decrease Crown:

Row 1:  *k13, ssk*; repeat  around
Row 2:  *k12, ssk*; repeat around
Row 3:  *k11, ssk*; repeat  around
Row 4:  *k10, ssk*; repeat  around
Row 5:  *k9, ssk*; repeat around
Row 6:  *k8, ssk*; repeat  around
Row 5:  *k7, ssk*; repeat around
Row 6:  *k6, ssk*; repeat  around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.

The pattern is in multiples of 15, so adjust accordingly.
A 90 stitch cast on made a very snug fitting hat for me.  Cast on 105 or 120 for a looser fitting cap.


Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

27 comments:

  1. OH gee, guess I'm going to have to learn to knit cables now, LOL. Love I mean LOVE this hat!! I'm sure it will be a big hit when I turn a few of these in for donations!! Thank you so much, I love knitting your patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really easy to knit cables.......just make sure you don't pull your stitches too tight! Thank you so much......it really means a lot that people like the patterns! Enjoy it!

      Hugs, Robin

      Delete
  2. Have toothpick, will cable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working on a ribbon afghan to donate, if I ever get it finished, and have also been making plain CC's for awhile. I just LOVE this pattern and will definitely be making these also. Thank you for the pattern. It is SO pretty.... <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful pattern! I've seen so many of your patterns shared on Facebook recently. You do lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin,
    I want to say thank you for the work you do.
    And another thanks for putting your free patterns in a form other than PDF exclusively. I like to put patterns into word documents and then I can adjust the patterns to be line by line and I find I don't lose where I am in a pattern.
    My grand sons are so full of energy that just coming into a room disrupts all in it and keeps us on our toes. We love it.
    Thanks again,
    missbettie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thanks ever needed! I enjoy every minute! :)

      Delete
  6. What needle length is used?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hats are always knit on 16 inch needles. Anything longer would be impossible to use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. About how much yarn is used, I'm trying to figure which of my stash yarns to break out. Hope to get multiples out of a skein without leaving extra.

    Thanks for posting the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first three rows look like garter stitch which is just knit all three rows. Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's knit in the round, which means you have to knit one row and purl the next as is written in the pattern.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I have no idea......I don't do gauge swatches since all the hats are made for charity........every hat will fit someone........

      Delete
  11. You don't happen to have a pattern for a matching scarf do you? I would love to make a matching pair for a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. where can I find the pattern for the Navy Hug Hat?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    The Navy Hug hat will be released in July, 2013 when Geri Krotow's new book NAVY ORDERS comes out with the pattern in the book. We will offer the pattern for sale then as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am going to knit this pattern with 4 ply wool on no 9 needles. will you suggest the no of sts to be cast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the hat comes out so small, I really think you could knit it as written and be fine. The pattern is in multiples of 15, so adjust accordingly.

      Delete
  15. I have used 120 sts and seems it is going to be ok

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting post, I like your hat, I thank you for sharing the tutorial, but weaving the hat is still a difficult thing for me.

    ReplyDelete