Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Springtime Slouch!


The Springtime Slouch



Well, it’s interesting to see how ideas can turn into something completely different!  I started this hat using the “bed-jacket stitch” a variation of the stockinette stitch using 2 different size needles.  I’m not sure the stitch even shows up very well, although, when the hat is stretched, you can see the difference in size of the stitches.  This hat is rather large – it will definitely fit a person with a “larger than usual” (like my Mom) head.  It will also be fine for someone with a smaller head, it will just slouch more. 

I think that when I make this again, I’ll cast on 76 stitches instead of 88 and make it just a little smaller. 

It was so unseasonably warm here this week that I just had to knit with cotton……..this is made with Sugar n’ Cream, but any worsted weight yarn would work fine.  An acrylic or a wool blend will add a bit more stretch to the hat and will also make it a bit warmer.  Use whatever yarn type will work best for the moment and try variations to see which you like best too!

I think a contrasting flower added to the side would be a nice touch…….I’ll be experimenting.

This is an easy knit, working up quickly. It’s knit flat and seamed up the back.  And no, I don’t have a pattern for it in the round yet……..if I play around with it and get one together I will post it as well. 

This pattern is free and I hope you enjoy it.  If you have a minute, please check out our facebook pages or websites to learn about the2 charities I run.  All the info is at the bottom of this post.  We love support and good wishes………so stop by and join us……no donations or contributions are necessary – we like moral support too!

The pattern can also be found here as a PDF.


 The Springtime Slouch



Worsted weight yarn  (I used one skein of Lily’s Sugar n’ Cream)
Size 7 knitting needles
Size 13 knitting needles

Cast on 88 stitches, using size 7 needles.  (Cast on 76 for a snugger fit)

Work in K2, P2 ribbing for one and a half to two inches.  K2, P2 across each row.
Work Bed-jacket pattern:  (This is easy to do.  Just work Row 1 as usual and then switch your right hand needle to a size 13.  From then on, just work with the unmatched pair.  All odd rows will be worked with the size 7 needle in your right hand, while the even, purl rows will be worked with the size 13 in your right hand.)

Row 1:  Using size 7 needles, knit across the row, increasing one stitch so that you are now working with 77 stitches.

Row 2:  Switch to size 13 needle and purl across the row.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until the piece is 8 inches long or longer if you want more of a slouch to your hat.

Decrease the crown:  Skip Rows 1 and 2 if you began by casting on 76 stitches.

            Row 1:  *K6, K2tog*; repeat from * to * across row

            Row 2:  Purl across

Row 3:  *K5, K2tog*; repeat from * to * across row

Row 4:  Purl across

Row 5:  *K4, K2tog*; repeat from * to * across row

Row 6:  Purl across

Row 7:  *K3, K2tog*; repeat from * to * across row

Row 8:  Purl across

Row 9:  *K2, K2tog*; repeat from * to * across row

Row 10:  Purl across

Row 11:  *K1, K2tog*; repeat from * to * across row

            Row 12:  Purl across
           
            Row 13:  K2tog across

Cut working yarn leaving a long tail.  Draw yarn through live stitches still on needle and cinch top of hat closed.  Sew seam up the back and enjoy.  Embellish as you wish.  


Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out. 

Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

25 comments:

  1. I had to print 8 pages just to get the few the pattern was actually on. Could there be a "printer friendly" pattern? Love "Schnapps"! What a cutie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can go to the PDF link that is listed or you can copy and paste the pattern instructions. Or just send me an email and I will send you a PDF instead of you clicking on it.........

    If you do print preview, then you can choose just which pages you want to print........... or you can highlight the text you want and then choose to print that.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hat. I will do it in the round. I don't like to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, I have a question.
    I am getting ready to knit this hat, but I wanted to see if you used a ball of Lily Sugar 'n Cream that had 95 yards of yarn, or if you had a larger ball? I just want to make sure that I have enough yarn to finish the pattern BEFORE I start.
    Thanks for the help!
    ~Sarah V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just the regular skein, so you should have enough to finish! :)

      Delete
  5. I want to make a hat like this for my daughter, any suggestions on how to make for toddler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd use 3 weight yarn and have the smaller needles be size 5 and the larger be size 9's. That should work. Depending on the size, you might have to cast on fewer stitches, but I think this might work. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! Just finished my first ever knitting project, a cowl with button for daughter. Loving knitting and wait to tackle a hat!!

      Delete
  6. We at Wallingford Senior Center in CT. make chemo, baby hats, ETC for the hospitals in our area. We have 17 places we donate our knitting. I am always looking for straight needle patterns to do different things. I have Tremors & use straight needles, as easier for me to handle close to my body, to help hold the needles still. Would appreciate any patterns using size 7 needles up. Thank you. LOIS S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois,

      You could try the Basket of Love Beanie: http://knittingwithschnapps.blogspot.com/2012/04/introducing-basket-of-love-beanie.html

      or the Carolyn Rose Cap: http://knittingwithschnapps.blogspot.com/2011/12/introducing-carolyn-rose-cap.html

      or the Happy Hat: http://knittingwithschnapps.blogspot.com/2012/02/introducing-happy-hat.html

      Delete
  7. would this be something that a cancer patient could use?? I am looking for useful things to make w/yarn on hand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. Any soft hat would be good for a person undergoing chemo.

      Delete
  8. I am in Canada, are the sizes metric or standard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also in Canada and will try 4.5mm & 9mm for this pattern.

      Delete
  9. knit this with soft cotton yarn in burnt orange;easy to knit,fits nice,and feels warm thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you knit with 77 st. how does the pattern work with an uneven number? Can you use 78 st?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been looking for a pattern for a hat, I have been making hats for my Gt grandchildren and just guessing how many stitches, im glad to come across this pattern thank you....Yvonne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just want to make sure I understand. You increase a stitch every knit row? Also, can you explain what you men by cinching the top closed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get an answer to this? I have the same question

      Delete
    2. yes, as the pattern is written you are correct about the increase. As far as cinching it closed that is kind of standard in many hat patterns, when you get to the end you don't bind off, you thread your working yarn through the eye of a wool needle and pull the working yarn through all the live stitches on the needle and pull the yarn snuggly to close up the top of the hat and secure the end. Hope this helps someone. Happy knitting.

      Delete
  13. The .pdf pattern doesn't say anything about increasing number of stitches — just says cast on 77. If I started with 88 as per the beginning of this version of the pattern, am I still increasing? This is very confusing. Please clarify.

    ReplyDelete