Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Monday, July 23, 2012

Introducing the Armor of Hope Chemo Cap!



Thank you Gaynell and Mike for the name!  

I used ribbon yarn this time......first time I've worked with it and I was amazed at how soft it was.  I like that this pattern showcases the sheen of the yarn.  I used Sundance Plaza yarn, but any 5-weight yarn would work well with this pattern.  The pattern can easily be adapted for different weight yarns and different sizes.  Just work with increases or decreases of 8 stitches at a time.

The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF . Please do not post in comments about problems you are having printing.  I have emailed literally thousands of PDF's to people who request them.........just ask!

Enjoy this pattern.  Please stop by our Facebook page and like us. Follow along as we make a difference and learn about new hat patterns as soon as Schnapps and I finish them.



Schnapps enjoying a treat after another successful pattern!

ARMOR OF HOPE




You need:  100 yards of 5-weight yarn and size 10 circular needles

Abbreviations:

yo - yarn over

k2tog - knit 2 stitches together as one

Cast on 64 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:
Row 1:  *k2, p2*; repeat from * around
Repeat Row 1 seven more times for a total of 8 rows

Work Pattern:

Row 1:  Knit all stitches
Row 2: *k2, yo, k2, pass yo over the 2 knit stitches*; repeat from * around
Row 3:  Knit all stitches
Row 4:  *yo, k2, pass yo over the 2 knit stitches, k2*; repeat from * around

Repeat Rows 1 - 4 until the piece measures 7 inches in length.  End on a Row 4.

Decrease Crown:

Row 1:  *k6, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 2:  *k5, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 3:  *k4, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 4:  *k3, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 5:  *k2, k2tog*; repeat from * around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.

This pattern is easily adjusted for different sizes.   If you use a multiple of 8, you can keep the same crown decreases.


Happy Knitting!

Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this kind service. My sister has stage IV lung cancer and is about to lose her hair due to chemo. I am trying to knit a hat for her but I am a beginner and do not understand "pass yo over 2 knit stitches". Can I substitute an easier stitch? Roswell Park Memorial Institute is a cancer research center where my sister gets her therapy. My first nursing job was there in pediatric oncology. I am sure they would love hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't substitute stitches......that stitch is what gives the hat it's texture.

      What you do is take the yarn over stitch that you made before the 2 knit stitches and catch it with your left hand needle and pull it up and over the 2 knit stitches, almost as if you were binding off.

      I have sent some hats to Roswell Park and will definitely send more. If your sister could use some just for her, please feel free to email me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I'll send her some.

      Delete
  2. It states to use size 10 circular needles but doesn't state length of needles so does this matter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. My church crochets and knits hats also for cancer patients too plus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the free pattern. I knit caps for the Children’s Hospital in my state. I like that I can make any size hat using your pattern.

    ReplyDelete