Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Friday, July 27, 2012

Introducing the Links of Hope Chemo Cap!





Somehow I knew this week wouldn't end without another hat being finished.  This was going to be part of the e-book, but so many people liked it and it's so very simple that Schnapps and I thought we should share it now.



Links of Hope (thank you Sue for naming this one!) was knit using Lion Brand Jiffy, but any 5 weight yarn would work well.  You can easily adjust the pattern for other weights of yarn as well.  Technically, the pattern is multiples of 2, but if you work with a multiple of 12 the decreases will stay the same too.


The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF . Please do not post in comments about problems you are having printing.  I have emailed literally thousands of PDF's to people who request them.........just ask!
Enjoy this pattern.  Please stop by our Facebook page and like us. Follow along as we make a difference and learn about new hat patterns as soon as Schnapps and I finish them.
 Links of Hope
 You need:  5-weight or bulky yarn(100 - 150 yards) and size 10 circular needles
Abbreviations:

k2tog - knit 2 stitches together as one

p2tog - purl 2 stitches together as one

kfb - knit into the front and back of the same stitch

Cast on 72 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.


Work Brim:

Row 1:  *k2, p2*; repeat from * around
Repeat Row 1 five more times for a total of 6 rows

Work Pattern:

Row 1:  knit all stitches
Row 2: *p2tog*; repeat around (36 stitches)
Row 3:  *Kfb*; repeat around  (72 stitches)
Row 4:  knit all stitches

Repeat Rows 1 - 4 until the piece measures 7 inches in length.  End on a Row 4.
Decrease Crown:

Row 1:  *k10, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 2:  *k9, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 3:  *k8, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 4:  *k7, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 5:  *k6, k2tog*; repeat from * around
Row 6:  *k5, k2tog*; repeat from * around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.


The starting number of stitches will be halved in Row 2.  You will double the number of stitches in Row 3.
Happy Knitting!



Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I was wondering what size head this hat will fit?
    Thanks,
    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fits an average adult size head. It fit me, my husband and my 22 year old son.

      Delete
  2. What is the gauge for this project? I'm a tight knitter and without a gauge to go by, my "average size" projects usually end up fitting your average size watermelons. I'd like to use a skein of Encore Chunky Tweed I have; 14sts - 4" on US 10, which means US 11s for me. I'm making this for myself, a rarity, but I still think it's time I stopped wearing watermelon cozies! Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a gauge for this - my hats all go to charity, so I know they will fit someone.

      Delete
  3. Loved this pattern. Wore one today and my 96 year old friend loved it. She wants one so I'm making another. Just bought the wool in Cornwall Air Ambulance Shop for £1 which will probably make 2 hats so one will be donated at another function.

    ReplyDelete