Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Introducing ZipLine: A Hat

Thank you Minetta for the name! 

ZipLine: A Hat!
This pattern is quick and easy and can easily be adjusted for just about any size.  The hat I made was done over 50 stitches and fits my head snugly, but comfortably.  I only posted the pattern in the round.  The one knit flat was terrible to seam........I don't think you want to try, but if you do, let me know.

You can add or decrease 10 or 20 stitches and still work the pattern exactly the same.  Have fun with the colors.  If you decide to only use 2 colors, just substitute Color A wherever Color C is used.

Enjoy this pattern.  Please stop by our Facebook page and like us. Follow along as we make a difference and learn about new hat patterns as soon as Schnapps and I finish them.

Schnapps worked hard on this one!
The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF


 ZipLine: A Hat



You will need bulky or 5-weight yarn in 2 or 3 colors.  I used Charisma - well less than one skein of each.

Size US 11 circular needles

Abbreviations:

Sl1 - slip one stitch as if to knit

SSK - slip 2 stitches as if to knit, one at a time to the right needle, then knit together with left needle.

Cast on 50 stitches with color C, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:
Row 1:  Knit all stitches
Row 2:  Purl all stitches
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 once more

Work Pattern:

Foundation Row:  Use Color A:  knit all stitches

Use Color B: 

Row 1: *Sl1, K1*; repeat from * around
Row 2:  *Sl1, P1*; repeat from * around
 

Use Color A:

Row 3:  *K1, Sl1*; repeat from * around
Row 4:  *P1, Sl1*; repeat from * around

Repeat Rows 1 - 4 with same colors until the piece measures approximately 7.5 - 8 inches in length.

Decrease Crown:
Use Color C:

Row 1:   Knit all stitches
Row 2:  *K8, SSK*; repeat from * around
Row 3:   Knit all stitches
Row 4:  *K7, SSK*; repeat from * around
Row 5:  Knit all stitches
Row 6:  *K6, SSK*; repeat from * around
Row 7:    Knit all stitches
Row 8:  *K5, SSK*; repeat from * around
Row 9:    Knit all stitches
Row 10:  *K4, SSK*; repeat from * around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.

Schnapps says, "Have fun with it!"


Happy Knitting Everyone!

Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

11 comments:

  1. I am definatley going to try this thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. A group of ladies in town knit hats for the needy and distribute them at our local food panty. We were just talking about knitting some more hats and this pattern looks like a great one for our project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I make this using one color? Does 50 stitches fit a female's head? How many stitches to cast on for a male? I was thinking of using camouflage yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could but I don't know that the design would show up very well. Adjust it in increments of 10 to keep the crown decrease the same. I'd go 60 stitches for a hat for a man.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, not only for the answer, but the quick reply. I have an old pattern for a soldier's helmet liner and did not like that I had to stitch the ends together...after making one, I thought, 'why don't I try making this as a unit...not having to stitch the ends together.' And then I found your pattern. If you have something better to offer for my project than my using this, I'm open! I'm a beginner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of patterns, but how about just a simple stockinette hat......... I'm not sure if there are strict guidelines for the liner's......

      Here's a link to my patterns: http://www.ravelry.com/designers/robin-celli/

      Delete
    2. Robin...so many patterns to choose from! Is there anyway I can send you a Word doc with the pattern I am working from to see how closely it would match up to one of yours using circular needles?

      Delete
    3. email me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org :)

      Delete
  5. Love the look of this hat. Can you please clarify the directions before Row 3 to Use Color B: Use Color A:? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed it. Just use Color A for Rows 3 & 4

      Delete
  6. Love Schnapps.. He resembles my little Schnauzer, Andy.

    ReplyDelete