Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Holiday Season! Wine Bottle Sleeve Pattern

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!  Schnapps and I have never worked with double pointed needles before and decided that we should try it.  We did and found it very simple (yes, many people told me so!) and we designed this wine bottle sleeve for a Christmas gift.  I'll probably make a few more to have on hand.  You never know when you might need a quick hostess gift and this will just add something to that nice bottle of wine you bring to a party.

The pattern is free.  It's our way of wishing you a happy start to the holiday season.  I love this time of year.....the cold weather, the Christmas decorations (although, not just yet.....I hold off until December to decorate my house) and just the general spirit of giving.  I love giving......it makes me happy.  

Please remember that all pattern sales for the month of November will be donated to hurricane relief efforts.  Any and all patterns, including e-books are included.  You can access my Ravelry and Craftsy stores by just clicking on the links on the right.   Now's a great time to get those latest patterns and be able to make a difference too!

You can certainly make this in any colors that you like.  I happened to have some holiday yarn on hand and used that.  If you have small amounts of several colors, you can make this striped.  Have fun with it and enjoy!!

The pattern can be found as a PDF on Scribd.com or you can always email me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will send you a copy.   
 
Wine Bottle Sleeve

You will need:  worsted weight yarn and size US 7 dpns.  

Abbreviations:
yo:  yarn over
ssk:  slip 2 stitches, one at a time as if to knit, then knit them together using the left hand needle
k2tog:  knit 2 stitches together

Cast on 36 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.  I placed my marker between stitch 1 and 2 so it wouldn’t fall off the dpns.

Work Ribbing

Row 1:  *k2, p2*; repeat around
Repeat Row 1 until the piece is about 5.5 inches long.

Work Eyelet Row:

*k2, yo, p2, yo* repeat around  (end row with a total of 54 stitches

Work Body: 
Row 1:  knit all stitches
Repeat Row 1 until piece is 12.5 to 13 inches long.



Decrease for Bottom:

Row 1: *ssk, k2, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 2:  knit all stitches
Row 3:  *ssk, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 4:  knit all stitches
Row 5: *k2tog*; repeat around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends.

Work I-Cord (use 2 size 7 dpns)

Cast on 4 stitches.  Without turning your work, slide the stitches to the other side of the needle and knit all stitches.

Continue to knit each row, without turning your work, but just sliding it to the opposite end of the dpn.

Continue until the cord is about 15 - 18 inches in length or as long as you wish to make it.  Bind off and weave in ends.  Thread through the eyelets and tie as a scarf.

Alternate finish:  Use ribbon as the scarf.  Simply thread through the eyelet row and tie.

If you wish to skip the scarf, simply skip knitting the eyelet row.

 
 
Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

1 comment:

  1. I have just started to knit 'for real' (2 baby sweaters in the 70s, 2 pairs of mittens & a sweater in the 80s - that was what I had knitted before August this year) and decided to try the magic loop instead of dpns. Since I did knit 2 pairs of mittens I do own 1 whole pair (i e 5 needles) of dpns. Now when I started to knit again I fell in love with knit pro symfonie. That made me I realize that my love affair would get very pricey. I hope this magic loop thing will keep the cost down since I prefer to spend my hard earned money on yarn ;) I tried using the magic loop, on a small project, and found it even simpler than dpns AND I can make 2 mittens/socks at the same time - love it). Now I just have to see how it works when I try to make some mittens with some nice intricate Swedish pattern - I found a really old one with squirrels :) Keep up the good work and thanks for all lovely patterns!! I love hats - and dogs :) Hug Schnapps from me and my beasts!!

    ReplyDelete