Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Friday, June 1, 2012

Introducing the Wings of Hope Chemo Cap!

Goal met for Week 22!  Just took this off my needles and wanted to post the pattern before I get started on my next one.  The next pattern will be going in the Delaware Head Huggers calendar, but I will post a new pattern soon too.


The pattern looked like butterflies to me and Becky suggested Wings of Hope and so it was named.  This was knit with Charisma, a 5-weight yarn on size 10.5 circulars.  If you want to knit it flat just check the previous post for how to adapt the pattern!  :)


I am continuously amazed at how many people I have come across since starting this.  I have met many people who I have been able to send caps to for themselves or their families as well as so many people who have sent hats to me.  This week I received hats from New Jersey,  Louisiana and Florida!  It's a wonderful feeling to know that so many people care.  So far, we have collected and subsequently shipped out 6,832 hats!  Keep them coming in because unfortunately, there is a need for so many more.  

Don't hesitate to contact me if you know a person, treatment center or hospital who could use caps.  If I don't have enough on hand to ship right out, I will add them to my list and get a box to them soon.  


The pattern is free, but I ask that you drop by our Facebook pages for Delaware Head Huggers and for Kozy Kovers for Kids.  Come join us as we make a difference.  Stop by our websites (links are below the pattern) also to see what we're up to, find out how to donate or just learn more about what we do.  And please tell other people about us.  The more people who know about us, the more people we can help! 

Schnapps likes to hear from people too!  :)
 The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF .  I have sent patterns to people across the US, in the UK, Germany and the Netherlands!  If you are printing this, use print preview to determine the pages you wish to print or copy and paste it into a Word document to ensure that you print only what you want.  Don't hesitate to send me an email letting me know of any person or treatment center in need of caps.  If you are knitting any of my patterns, feel free to let me know how they come out and who you are making them for.  I have met so many wonderful, talented people since I began this organization!
 
Wings of Hope Chemo Cap





You Need:

5-weight yarn – I used less than one skein of Charisma
10.5 circular needles


Cast on 61 stitches and join, taking care to not twist stitches


Knit Brim

Row 1:  Knit all stitches
Row 2:  Purl all stitches
Repeat Rows 1 & 2 2 more times for a total of 6 rows

Knit Body of Hat

Row 1:             *P2, K1, P7, K1, P1 *; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 2:               P1, *P1, K1, P7, K1, P2 *; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 3:             *P1, K3, P5, K3*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 4:               P1, *K3, P5, K3, P1*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 5:             *K5, P3, K4*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, K1
Row 6:              K1, *K4, P3, K5*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 7:             *P1, K5, P1, K5*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 8:              P1, *K5, P1, K5, P1*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 9:             *P2, K9, P1*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 10:             P1, *P1, K9, P2*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 11:            *P3, K3, P1, K3, P2*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 12:              P1, *P2, K3, P1, K3, P3*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 13:            *P4, K1, P3, K1, P3*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 14:              P1, *P3, K1, P3, K1, P4*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 15:            *P3, K3, P1, K3, P2*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 16:              P1, *P2, K3, P1, K3, P3*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 17:            *P2, K9, P1*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 18:              P1, *P1, K9, P2*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 19:            *P1, K5, P1, K5*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 20:              P1, *K5, P1, K5, P1*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 21:            *K5, P3, K4*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, K1           
Row 22:             K1, *K4, P3, K5*; repeat from * to * to end of row
Row 23:            *P1, K3, P5, K3*; repeat from * to * to last stitch, P1
Row 24:              P1, *K3, P5, K3, P1*; repeat from * to * to end of row

Decrease Crown:

Row 1:      K2tog, *K8, SSK*; repeat from * to * to last 9 stitches, K7, SSK
Row 2:      *K7, SSK*; repeat from * to * across row
Row 3:      *K6, SSK*; repeat from * to * across row
Row 4:      *K5, SSK*; repeat from * to * across row
Row 5:       *K4, SSK*; repeat from * to * across row


© Robin Celli – May 2012
Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids


15 comments:

  1. We have a schnauzer, too. We went with what the volga germans (our ancestors) called liquor. It is Schnipps. Thought you might enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a pattern that I can make for chemo patients. My husband was diagnosed with prostrate cancer a year and a half ago. He is now cancer free but still attends a support group at Stewarts Caring Place in Akron Ohio. They are a free support group cancer patients and their families. I have committed myself to make caps for them and your pattern sure fits my needs and the needs of many. Thank you I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! If the group needs hats, please just email me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will put them on my list of places to send them to soon.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this pattern. My friend just finished radiation and is now starting chemo. She likes angels so I am sure she will like this pattern. Sarah from Beavercreek, OH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knit my hats for those needing them in thanks that I don't have to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you please send details of how to knit flat as I
    really would like to get started on this project, thank you.
    It was not clear how to find your previous post.
    Love to Schnapps.
    I do wish websites would make the letters clearer as frequently they are really difficult to deciper and the auditory version not too clear, thank you.
    I am NOT a grumpy old woman - simply not so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to the post on how to adapt the pattern. The pattern isn't written out, but the instructions for changing any pattern are there. If you have any problems, email me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will try to help.

      http://knittingwithschnapps.blogspot.com/2012/05/adapting-hat-patterns-for-circular-and.html

      Schnapps sends love and tail wags back!!

      Delete
  6. I just love this hat and so will my granddaughter, although we won't use it for a chemo hat! I made several chemo hats for my cousin and used cotton yarn as it was not itchy and much cooler in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My women's group at church is knitting chemo caps for the local hospital's cancer treatment unit. I've been using a lacey edge pattern but I think this pattern will do well too! Thank you for letting us use it free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you have a conversion for worsted weight yarn,that will fit an adult?
    using the wings of hope pattern? Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a conversion for worsted weight yarn, that will fit an adult using the Wings Of Hope pattern? Thank you

      Delete
    2. No, I don't and please give me at least 24 hours to reply before sending the same question.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry for the inconvience.







    I'm sorry for the inconvience. My computer skills are not 100%, and I did not think the first question had gotten to you. I've always enjoyed your patterns, and have made many of them. The fact that you give conversions for different yarns has always been appreciated!



    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not understand the decrease row.. I would be glad if u would help me:-)

    ReplyDelete