Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Introducing The Checkered Embrace Chemo Cap! It's Reversible too!


Here is the pattern for the latest chemo cap.   This week has brought some beautiful thank you notes from people as well as some requests for many prayers as well.  Please, if you all would, say an extra prayer for my friend Karen who was just diagnosed with oral cancer.

This hat was supposed to look like ladders.........at least in my imagination, but it looks more like a checkerboard on one side and a basket on the other.  I prefer the checkerboard, but either works well as a chemo cap and as long as you take care in your finishing, a fully reversible hat is easily created.



The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF.  If you are printing this, use print preview to determine the pages you wish to print or copy and paste it into a Word document to ensure that you print only what you want.  Don't hesitate to send me an email letting me know of any person or treatment center in need of caps.  If you are knitting any of my patterns, feel free to let me know how they come out and who you are making them for.  I have met so many wonderful, talented people since I began this organization and I love to hear from new people all the time!

Here is the pattern!  I hope you like this one too.   

Schnapps approves!

And models it well!

This is my favorite side!

But this side works too!
You Will Need:

Worsted or 4-weight yarn  
Size 8 circular needles


Cast on 88 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Brim:

            Row 1:  Knit all stitches
            Row 2:  Purl all stitches

            Repeat Rows 1 and 2 two more times for a total of 6 rows.

Work Pattern:

            Rows 1, 2, 3 & 4:  *K5, P3*; repeat from * to * across
            Rows 5, 6, 7 & 8:  K1, *P3, K5*; repeat from * to * to last 4 stitches, K4
Work Rows 1 – 8 four times (or more if you want a larger cap) 

Decrease Crown:

            Row 1:  *K9, SSK*; repeat across
            Row 2:  *K8, SSK*; repeat across
Row 3:  *K7, SSK*; repeat across
            Row 4:  *K6, SSK*; repeat across
            Row 5:  *K5, SSK*; repeat across
            Row 6:  *K4, SSK*; repeat across
            Row 7:  *K3, SSK*; repeat across
            Row 8:  *K2, SSK*; repeat across

Finish:

            Cut working yarn, leaving a long tail.  Draw the tail through the stitches left on your needle, cinch tightly and secure.  Take care with this step and the hat will be completely reversible.  Weave in any loose ends and enjoy!

© Robin Celli 6/2012

Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids





7 comments:

  1. I just started donating caps to local chemo patients. Thanks from them and me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing these caps. I have a project where some ladies and I crochet or knit a cap to give away to Children who need them at the Children's Hospital in Atlanta.
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Ulises-Chemo-Caps-Project/461021913970158. I hope you don't mind it if I copy some your patterns to make caps for these children.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use any of my patterns to help anyone, especially children!

      Robin

      Delete
  3. I'm confused. The instructions for the brim describe stockinette stitch, which would roll, yet in the photos it looks like garter stitch, which would not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brim instructions are for garter stitch - and it clearly doesn't roll. The hat is knit in the round, not on straight needles. Garter stitch in the round is one row knit and one row purl

      Delete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to both knit and share this pattern. Thank you for the help and donations of these hats to those amazing people of all ages! You have a a talent and gift that you are sharing and helping others with.
    Many thanks to you! God Bless You and may each stitch and completed cap be blessed and help not only to warm the body but warm their hearts!

    ReplyDelete