Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Goal Met - Week 26!

Halfway through the year and I am staying on track!  I wasn't sure if I would make it this week.....it's 8 PM on Saturday, but both new hats for this week are finished.  I had so many difficulties with a pattern that I ripped it out several times and lost a bunch of time.

Anyway, there are 2 new hats this week!  A pattern for at least one of them will be posted tomorrow in a separate post.

This is the first hat - named Pinwheel Panache!  Thank you Geri for the name!!  This was knit with Louisa Harding's Kashmir Baby, which is lovely yarn, but could be made with any sport weight yarn you have on hand. 

Pinwheel Panache!
The next hat is still unnamed, which is understandable, since it came off my needles about 15 minutes ago!  It's a very simple pattern that creates an interesting texture.  It's knit using Vanna's Choice, which is a great yarn also.


This week has brought good news for many and not so good news for others.  Please everyone keep Nicole in MA in your thoughts and prayers as she battles through yet another highly aggressive round of chemo.  

I've sent hats to several people this week and delivered blankets to the local ER as well.  Now I will have some free time to try to finish the blanket I'm working on!  It's getting there.........slowly, but surely!!

Happy Knitting Everyone!

Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

3 comments:

  1. I've a question about hats if you wouldn't mind answering. I have a very dear friend who is going through some severe medical issues.. he wants a hat, (saw me knitting a scarf) I would love to make him a hat but his head size is pretty large, 26 1/2 inches around his head, and from the top of his head to the top of his ear is 8 1/2 inches. I've searched for patterns that would go this large and I'm not experianced enough to design one. Any help would be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE all your hats, I am learning to make hats, have made 3 so far, when I get better hope to donate to a local hospital, our LYS had a KAL and all the hats went to our hospital. I love all your designs, right now I just do the plain or the ribbed is easy also. Guess I should challenge myself soon! Thank you for all that you do. Meant to say all this in the earlier post.. was too excited that this was on my feed this morning!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Marianne. I'm going to try to help..........basically, what you would need to do is make the hat wider and longer than the usual pattern. A lot of my hats are more for women, but I looked at the Basket of Love Beanie and tried to adapt that one for you:

      http://knittingwithschnapps.blogspot.com/2012/04/introducing-basket-of-love-beanie.html

      That pattern is a multiple of six stitches, so you would add, 12, 18 or 24 stitches, depending on how tightly you knit. Then you would work the pattern for an extra repeat in the case of this pattern, or several repeats if the pattern is 4 rows or so. Instead of knitting the 24 rows, you could knit them twice. I hope that makes sense.

      You could also just do a plain hat. I'd do a garter stitch or ribbed brim for extra stretchiness and then just do a stockinette body until it is long enough. How many stitches would depend on what kind of yarn and needles you are using, but you should be able to see how it's coming as you are knitting.

      I hope that helped. If not, email me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will try to give you some more specific help.

      I'll be thinking about your friend and sending positive thoughts his way! :)

      Robin

      Delete