Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Introducing Community Links!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!  We reached our 500 votes and will receive a $500 grant from PNC to cover shipping and supply costs!  As promised, here is the newest pattern for everyone.  The name was tricky...........I was going with Chains of Hope and some people didn't like that chains can have negative connotations, so we were tossing around other ideas.  Then Jessica came up with Community Links since everyone worked together to secure the grant!  Perfect!!!

Schnapps is so happy!  He thanks you all!!!!!


I hope you like this hat.......it's got 2 variations........the pink one was the second one I made and I realized after I started that I was skipping Row 4.......but it looked ok to me still, so I kept it.  The pattern is in multiples of 4 so adjust accordingly if you want to change the size.








 The pattern may also be found on Scribd.com as a PDF .

COMMUNITY LINKS



You need 6-weight yarn and size 13 needles.  I used less than one skein of Lion Brand Hometown USA, so probably about 75 yards.



Abbreviations:

k2tog - knit 2 stitches together as one


Cast on 48 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Pattern:

Row 1: *p1, k3*; repeat around
Row 2: *p1, k3*; repeat around
Row 3:  *p1, skip 2 stitches, knit the 3rd stitch.  Without dropping the stitches off the left hand needle, then knit the 1st, then the 2nd stitch and then drop all three at the same time*; repeat around
Row 4: *p1, k3*; repeat around
Repeat Rows 1 - 4 four times.

Decrease Crown:

Row 1:  *p1, k1, k2tog*; repeat  around
Row 2:  *p1, k2tog*; repeat around
Row 3:  *k2tog*; repeat  around

Finish: Cut working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the remaining stitches, cinch closed and secure.  Weave in ends and enjoy.


The pink hat in the photo is a slight variation.  Simply leave out Row 4.  Knit Rows 1 - 3 five times, then decrease the crown and finish as written.  I forgot to knit Row 4 when working on it and decided that it still looked kind of cute.



Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hat pattern. I shared the pnc site with my friends in our Tulsa, Oklahoma knitting and crocheting group. We voted because you do yeoman's work and should be supported. Thanks for what you do for humankind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support. It means so much!! And it's wonderful because this grant will make it easier for me to ship even more hats out than ever before! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!! I voted as often as I could even had some non knitting friends go and vote also! Love the work you do and hope there are more contest for you to win also!! Just let us all know and we'll go and show our support! Love the pattern as always, such beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne! I really appreciate all the support!

      Delete
  3. I love making the different hats. I give them to the cancer patients at the hospital that I volunteer at. Central Maine Medical Center, Main Street, Lewiston, Maine We also have the Dempsey Cancer Center, Lowell Street, Lewiston, Maine 04240. They could use the hats also. Thanks you so much in advance. Joye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joye,

      Hats are shipping out to the Dempsey Center tomorrow. I will send a box to Central Maine Medical Center too - as soon as I get a box full!

      Delete