Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Monday, December 31, 2012

Introducing Absolute Hope!

It's New Year's Eve!  2012 is almost gone and we will be starting a brand new year.  I can't begin to tell you how much all your support and help have meant to me throughout 2012.  We made an amazing 3,110 chemo caps this year and have hopefully managed to help lots of people.  Lots of patterns, lots of hats and lots of love!  And I'm looking forward to even more for next year.

I set a goal for myself of knitting 2 hats every week for 2012 and to knit at least 2 blankets for Kozy Kovers for Kids.  I met or exceeded that goal each week all year!  This year, I am not setting any particular number - I am just going to make as many hats and blankets as possible.  I can't imagine that I will slow down any, but if I find myself slacking, I will set another set goal for myself.  So many heads are chilly and in need of hats!

This is our last pattern for 2012.  I'm hoping that 2013 will bring Schnapps and I more creative ideas so we can make more hats.  Paul named it Absolute Hope, which I think is perfect.  I want anyone who ever gets one of our hats to have hope for an absolutely wonderful future.

I wish each one of you a 2013 that is filled with happiness, health, love and peace.   Schnapps, as always, sends hugs and kisses to everyone!
Happy New Year!!!!

He had to try this one on!

If you're not a fan of Delaware Head Huggers yet, stop by and "Like" our Facebook page.  Stop by Kozy Kovers for Kids Facebook page too!  It's amazing how close we have all become through these pages and we welcome everyone to join us too. 
This pattern is in PDF form here or you can email me at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will send you a copy.


Absolute Hope

Knit with super bulky, 6-weight yarn.

Knit with chunky, 5-weight yarn.

You will need the correct combination of yarn and needles that you wish to use.  Details for different yarn weights are included at the bottom.

Abbreviations:

S1:  slip one stitch, as if to knit, with yarn in back

K2tog:  knit 2 stitches together as one

Cast on 48 stitches, place marker and join, taking care not to twist stitches.

Work Garter Stitch Brim

Row 1: Knit all stitches

Repeat Rows 1 until the piece measures 2.5 to 3 inches in length

Work Pattern:

Rows 1, 2 5, & 6:  knit all stitches
Row 3:  *s1, k1*; repeat around
Row 4:  *s1, p1*; repeat around
Row 7:  *k1, s1*; repeat around
Row 8:  *p1, s1*; repeat around


Repeat Rows 1 - 8 until the piece measures 7.5 to 8 inches in length.


Crown Decrease:

Row 1:  *K4, K2tog*; repeat across
Row 2:  *K3, K2tog*; repeat across
Row 3:  *K2, K2tog*; repeat across
Row 4:  *K1, K2tog*; repeat across
Row 5:  *K2tog*; repeat across


Finish:  Cut your working yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail.  Draw the tail through the stitches remaining on the needle.  Cinch tightly and secure.  Weave in ends.

The pattern is multiples of 2, but to keep the crown decrease the same, adjust in increments of 6 stitches.

The multi-colored model was knit using 5 weight yarn, size 10.5 needles and cast on 60 stitches.

To knit using worsted weight yarn, use size 8 needles and cast on 90 stitches.

To knit using sport weight yarn, use size 5 needles and cast on 120 stitches.

If using different yarn weights, you might wish to make the crown decrease longer.  Repeat Row 5 of the decrease as many times as you wish.


Remember, all are welcome to join us in some way - we love to see new people and are grateful when more people hear about us.  So, spread the word!  And, as always, if you or anyone you know is in need of chemo caps, please feel free to contact me directly at robin@delawareheadhuggers.org and I will be happy to ship some out.  If there is a chemo center that is near and dear to your heart and you think they could use some hats, let me know and I will ship a box off to them.  This is what we do!!


Delaware Head Huggers  

Kozy Kovers for Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment