Schnapps

Schnapps
Our mascot - ALWAYS!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Time Flies!

I'm not sure when I expect to have time to blog about knitting or anything really.............  busy week, but at least it's Saturday.

I finished slipper socks last weekend and I am now working on a triangle shawl that is knitting up quickly!  Have to get a hat going also.......

Sometimes when I am knitting hats or shipping them to different sites, I wonder if we are really making a difference. I mean, can a hat really help someone?  Can it make a difference?  Well, I have heard back from several people who received hats through Delaware Head Huggers and I know that we are making a difference.  I was contacted this week by an Oncology Center - and I will be shipping a box to them this week. But perhaps the most touching thing that occurred this week was that I received this email from A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital here in Delaware:

Hi Robin,

I hope this note finds you well.  I want to thank you for the hats.  I received the box last week.  I want to share with you about a little girl, 3 years old, who died from a brain tumor on Tuesday.  I have been the social worker for the family since the day of diagnosis.  On Wednesday, the little girl's parents made funeral arrangements and shopped for a dress.  They found a beautiful, purple and off-white dress for their daughter for the funeral and to be buried in, however the mom was so upset because she didn't want her daughter's little bald head (from chemo) and many scars to show at the funeral.  I opened your box of hats from the Delaware Head Huggers and found a beautiful, off-white hat with purple, fluffy, fun trim.  The mom came to the hospital after the funeral home.  I showed her that hat and she said it was so perfect and her daughter would have loved it!!  So, not only do our kids on treatment love and appreciate your hats but they are very special after treatment as well.  Thank you so much for your kindness.  Your gift of hats to us is very, very meaningful in so many ways.

Many thoughts,
Lisa
 

This touching note made me realize that what might seem to be a small gesture might really impact someone along the way.  It also put things into perspective for me in general. 

I've got hats and blankets ready to be shipped and delivered and I will continue to do this as long as I can.  I've had so much help getting these charities up and running and I am constantly amazed by how generous people are and how easily they give of their talents and time.

So, I'm heading back to my yarn to put something together.  Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment